Women’s health is one of the most important parameters which reflect the standard of the health care system of a society. Health is a complete physical, mental and social wellbeing and not merely the absence of a disease or infirmity. Research suggests that even though two-thirds (63%) of women participate in household decisions, their access to healthcare is limited till pregnancy. Choose to challenge this women’s day and inspire those around you too. Make your health a priority, spread awareness about women’s diseases and take preventive actions.
Common Diseases in Indian women
Women’s health involves a variety of gender-specific issues, like estrogen production, mental health, sexual health and fertility concerns. Women go through dramatic mental and physical changes as their reproductive systems go through major changes. Here are the most common diseases seen in women:
- Breast Cancer – One woman is diagnosed with cancer every 4 minutes in India
- Stroke – Indian women are prone to suffer from a stroke than men
- PCOS (Polycystic ovary syndrome) – One in every 10 women in India suffers from this disease
- Weight Gain – 1 in 5 Indian women are overweight
- Depression – Depression is almost twice as likely to affect women than men due to various factors like reproductive hormones and social pressures
- Osteoporosis – Over 5 crore Indian women suffer from this disease
- Diabetes – Women with diabetes are at an increased risk of death
- Heart disease – More women die of heart disease compared to men
Preventive Healthcare for women
From hormonal ups and downs to childbirth and menopause, women’s bodies go through a lot over the years. Today’s fast-paced lifestyles make it difficult to lead healthy lives that includes regular exercise and eating a balanced diet. It is highly recommended that women undertake an annual health checkups to help detect potential health problems early. Some of the routine medical tests especially for women include:
- Pelvic examination – This is recommended for women over 30 years of age or who are sexually active. Your gynecologist conducts a routine examination and also a pap smear test that helps detect cervical cancer.
- Breast checkup – This is the second leading cause of cancer deaths in India despite being easily identifiable. Regular mammograms as informed by your doctor and monthly self-checks help diagnose breast cancer early when maximum recovery is possible. Examine your breasts for pain, tenderness, lump, thickening, or any discharge. Talk to your doctor if you spot anything unusual.
- Bone density test – Osteoporosis is a degenerative bone disease in which essential minerals such as calcium are lost, leaving the bones fragile and brittle. This test helps find out your bone strength.
- Thyroid test – A imbalance in thyroid levels can create havoc in your life and may cause weight loss, weight gain, hair loss, mood swings or fatigue. Get your thyroid levels checked.
- Diabetes screening – Diabetes has a tremendous impact on a woman’s health and has severe long-term complications especially if you are pregnant. Be regular with your blood sugar checkups.
- Vitamin D test – A majority of Indian women are deficient in this key nutrient that can adversely affect your bone health. Speak to your doctor about your vitamin D levels and take a supplement if required.
- Cardiac health – Did you know? The symptoms of heart disease also differ from men to women. Get your cardiac check-up done if you have a family history of hypertension, heart disease or if you’re overweight, or if you are a smoker.
Health tips for women
Balancing the demands of a job, family, and can be exhausting for women. Every woman must prioritize her health as she progresses through life’s milestones. Here are some daily health tips to incorporate in your life:
- Don’t skip meals
- Make time for exercise
- Eat a healthy diet
- Get enough sleep
- Be regular with health checkups
- Stay hydrated
- Meditate daily
- Keep stress away
- Quit smoking
- Stay away from alcohol
- Talk with your loved ones
Products related to women health
Asoka Jonesia : The affinity of this drug is female reproductive organs. The mother tincture is generally used for delayed and irregular menses, menstrual colic, arnemorrhoea, pain in ovaries before flow, menorrhagia, irritable bladder with other symptoms like unilateral headache, reflex uterine, congestive headache, better open air and by free flow.
Aletris Farinosa : Suits conditions of a pale and relaxed condition, especially in females. A feeling of tiredness persists all the time along with a dragging down sensation in the uterus along with discharge and rectal distress. Suited to pale girls and pregnant women.
Cinchona officinalis (China) : Too profuse and too early menses with dark clots and abdominal distention. Heaviness in the pelvis with bloody leucorrhea. Increased sexual desire during menses.
Caulophyllum thalictroides CH : It is indicated in extreme rigidity of external os of cervix with pricking pain in the cervix as from needles. Severe spasmodic pains radiating to all directions from the uterine region. False labor pains with shivering without further progress in the labor. Frequent abortions due to weakness of uterus.
Viburnum opulus : Viburnum opulus is a general remedy for cramps; colicky pains in pelvic organs. It often prevents miscarriage. It is also used in spasmodic and congestive affections, dependent upon ovarian or uterine origin.
Hydrastis canadensis : The Effect of Hydrastis is seen in modifying disease, abolishing its distressing symptoms. Research has shown that it constricts blood vessels, stimulates autonomic nervous system; is antibacterial and amoebicidal, stimulates the uterine muscles.
Abroma radix : The basuc remedy for uterine troubles and is a well known emmenagogue and uterine tonic mainly used to treat intra-uterine diseases and other gynecological problems related to menstrual cycles such as dysmenorrhea, amenorrhea, and leucorrhea. The root extract is also a powerful abortifacient and anti-fertility agent.
Helonias dioica : It is an excellent remedy for sensation of weakness, dragging and weight in the sacrum and pelvis, with great languor and prostration. There is a sensitiveness expressed as a consciousness of the womb. The weakness shows itself also in a tendency to prolapse and other malposition of the womb. Used in cases of ovarian cysts, menses often suppressed and the kidneys congested.